These are my favorite cookies ever! Just one cookie is enough to satisfy a sweet craving. Many of my friends call them "fancy oreos." The cream filling is very sweet while the cookies themselves are a little bitter. They complement each other out. Make sure you plan ahead of time to be home while these cookies are baking. They bake for one whole hour in the oven at 250 degrees.
The recipe makes: 18 cookies
Recipe from Star Desserts by Emily Luchetti
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 ounces (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup of mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Combine the butter and sugar in a mixer with a paddle. There is no need to set the butter out ahead of time to bring it to room temperature.
- Beat on low speed for about 15 seconds.
- Add flour, salt and cocoa powder and continue to mix until the dough comes together (about 3 or 4 minutes.)
- Prepare your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a table with some flour sprinkled on it so the dough does not stick. Roll out the dough 1/4 of an inch thick.
- With a star cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as you can. Keep reusing the dough until you have used up almost all of it. You don't want to rework the dough too much. You should have around 34-36 cookies.
- Place the cookies on the baking sheets and refrigerate them for at least one hour so they don't spread out in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 250 and bake the shortbread for an hour.
- To make the filling: stir the mascarpone, vanilla and sugar until smooth.
- Do not put the filling on the shortbread until the cookies are completely cool. The cookies should not be assembled until the day you will serve them. The shortbread dough can be wrapped and refrigerated, and made one week in advance. The mascarpone can also be made two days in advance.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the filling on top of 18 cookies and smash the other 18 on top with the filling inside.