Calories: 10,000+ for the whole cake.
Recipe from Polpo
- 14 oz (1 3/4 cup) of hazelnuts
- 14 oz (1 3/4 cup)of dark chocolate
- 14 oz (1 3/4 cup) of butter at room temperature
- 7 oz (.875 of a cup) of brown sugar
- 6 oz (3/4 of a cup) of white sugar
- 9 eggs
- 1/4 cup of Franjelico
- 1 cup of marscapone (We usually just make whipping cream without using this)
- 2 tablespoons of cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit or 180 degrees celcius
- Prepare a 10 inch pan by greasing it with a little bit of oil. You also need to line it with baking parchment.
- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 10 minutes. They should turn dark brown. Let them cool and then put them on the bottom half of a clean tea towel on flat surface. Fold over the other half to eh towel and rub to remove the skins. Put the nuts in a food processor or blender. They should have the consistency of bread crumbs.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over low boiling water. Add the blended hazelnuts into the the chocolate. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and use a mixer to cream them together. Add the eggs one at a time while mixing and add the chocolate too. Alternating between the eggs and chocolate.
- Scrape the whole mixture into your cake pan. Make sure to check the cake after 1 hour. The top of the cake should be set and a skewer put into the centre will come out still wet but not too raw. The does settle down and set inside as it cools. While the cake is still warm, pierce the cake with a skewer and sprinkle over the Frangelico. The cake should cool inside the tin. (We have made mistakes with this cake many times and the middle has fallen out before. Make sure that you allow the cake to cool).
- Whip up some whipping cream and serve with the cake.
- Extra: Fold the cream into the mascarpone until smooth and serve this with the cake. You can also decorate the cake with confectioners powdered sugar.