Sunday, October 26, 2014

Native American Frybread



I have made this recipe a few times at college with the help of my Native American friends. Although Columbus Day is over, I believe that it is important to learn and honor Native American culture. I recently joined LUNA, a Native American organization on campus where I am the secretary. I've been learning so much about the culture and I wanted to share a recipe. 

Ingredients: 
  • 3 cups of flour
  • 1 tablespoon of baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • 1 ½ cups of warm water
  • Oil for frying 
Directions: 
  • Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and water.
  • Knead the dough for about 5-7 minutes.
  • Let it rest for 1 hour in the refrigerator (covered) 
  • Heat a pot of oil (1-2 inches of oil) and wait till the oil begins to simmer. 
  • Tear off a chunk of dough and form it into a flat round circle. 
  • Fry the bread until it browns on each side 
  • Serve with powdered sugar, honey, burgers or as a taco! 

No comments: