Szechuan Green Bean RecipeThis recipe is one of my favorites! They are not very spicy for those who dislike spicy food.
- 1 pound Chinese longbeans (also called yardlong beans or just longbeans)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 2 scallions (spring onions, green onions), white parts only
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper to taste, optional
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- Wash the longbeans, drain thoroughly, and trim the tops and bottoms.
- Cut the longbeans on the diagonal into slices approximately 2 inches long
- Chop the garlic, ginger and white part of the scallions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat
- Add the longbeans and stir-fry until they start to shrivel or "pucker" and turn brown (5 - 7 minutes). Really make sure that they are almost burnt!
- Remove the long beans and drain in a colander or on paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok on high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and scallions. Stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the chili paste and stir-fry for a few more seconds until aromatic.
- Add the longbeans and the remaining ingredients.
- Mix together and then serve!