Today is my mother's birthday. I wanted to make a sweet breakfast without it being too sweet. I also wanted it to go along poached eggs and sausage. The breakfast I made was a poached egg with sausage along with dijon mustard honey sauce and sweet and sour sauce and the steamed buns with a banana puree and strawberry jam sauce. All of this is homemade!
Here is the recipe for chocolate steamed buns:
I made about 14 buns, but you can make 8 by just cutting back on the ingredients.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of yeast
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder ( Feel free to add more)
- 1/3 cup of sugar (Feel free to add more)
- Get two bowls split the ingredients in half. One bowl will be for the chocolate dough and the other for the white dough.
- Each bowl will have:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of yeast
- The chocolate bowl will have the tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and the sugar. (I actually added a lot more sugar than this recipe calls for because I wanted it a little sweeter. I added sugar to the white dough too.)
- Slowly pour the water and mix the ingredients together. Knead dough and keep adding water if the dough isn't coming together. Knead both sections for about 15 minutes.
- Set aside each ball of dough in a bowl and cover with a towel to rise for about 15-20 minutes.
- Flatten each section by rolling with a rolling pin and make them about the same size. You want the dough to be shaped like a long oval.
- After they are fairly flat, put the chocolate dough on top of the white dough.
- Roll the portions together into a log.
- Cut inch size pieces and place on a small square of parchment paper.
- Let them rest and rise for about 15-20 minutes
- Heat a pan of water with a steamer.
- Once the water is boiling on medium heat, place each piece of bread into the steamer.
- Steam for about 12-14 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let them sit for about 3-5 minutes.
Calories: Each bun is about 90-95 calories if you use sugar
If you're having trouble understanding my directions refer to this video.
Credits: EasyChineseFood @youtube.com