Saturday, April 19, 2014

Protein Oatmeal


I know this is not cooking, but I absolutely love oatmeal. I felt the need to express my love for it on my blog, so I made a post. I have been eating oatmeal every morning since I came to Lawrence. It is filling and can be mixed together with different ingredients. The oatmeal soaks in the variety of flavors that are mixed with it. 

Need more of a kick to your morning oatmeal? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it fuels your metabolism. Add protein powder, greek yogurt, almond butter, egg whites, peanut butter, almonds, chia seeds, hemp or peanuts. This a great way to get protein and feel energized for your day. 
Top image: vanilla protein powder added to steel cut oats with strawberries and almonds. 
Bottom image: chocolate protein powder and greek yogurt with rolled oats and bananas. 

Steel cut oats take longer to cook. They cook for about 15-20 minutes on the stove. The new fad- "overnight oats" is a new and delicious way to eat oatmeal. I make mine overnight and soak them in a jar or a cup with a lid. I will heat it in the microwave the next morning. A 1/2 cup of regular oats is 150 calories and a 1/4 cup of steel cut oats is 170 calories. The steel cut oats will puff up. 

No comments: