Tonight, my mother and I made mortadella pizza from the Rustic Italian cookbook. It has a savory pistachio sauce that is dribbled on top. A long time ago there used to be a restaurant called JP Bistro in Minneapolis and they had a pizza with bacon, pistachios and fontina cheese. I used to eat that pizza every time I went to that restaurant and this mortadella pizza really reminded me of it.
- 1 pizza dough recipe (recipe is in "cooking index")
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup of fresh mozzarella
- 2 ounces of mortadella (thinly sliced)
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of pistachios (grounded)
- Make the pizza dough
- Add the mortadella, mozzarella and then parmesan cheese
- Grind the pistachios in a grinder and add them to the olive oil.
- Bake the pizza at 500 degrees for 12-13 minutes.
- Add the sauce lightly over the pizza. You will not need to use all of it.
Total calories: 2777 for two pizzas cut into fourths. Each fourth should be about 350 if you use all of the oil.