(Recipe from Saveur Cooks Authentic Italian)
This is one of my most favorite comforting meals to eat! This is a pretty simple recipe too.
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces of pancetta or guanciale cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of parmesan
- 1 cup of pecorino romano
- 1 lb of bucatini noodles
- Put the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the pancetta or bacon and cook until they are not quite brown, but crisp (about 10 minutes). Take the pancetta/bacon off the heat and put the bacon/pancetta onto a paper towel with a spoon to get the oil off. Leave the oil in the pan.
- Increase the heat to medium high, and add red pepper flakes and tomatoes to the oil in the pan. Cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring often. Make sure it thickens.
- After 6-8 minutes, reduce heat to medium and add the parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of the pecorino. Cook for a little longer.
- Prepare at the same time, the bucatini in a pot of salted water. Bucatini noodles cook about 9-12 minutes. Drain the pasta and then dump the pasta into the pan with the sauce. Add 2-3 more tablespoons of the pecorino cheese and stir.
- Make sure you have some reserved cheese and pancetta to sprinkle on top when serving!