You can add anything into the center of the muffin. When I was a child, my mother used to make brown sugar and jam muffins for me because I disliked blueberries. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of 1% milk
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Extra sugar for the top – this is my mother’s idea
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease the bottoms with medium muffin cups about 2 ½ inches x 1 ¼ inches.
- Beat the egg and stir in the milk and oil. Stir in the remaining ingredients all at once until flour is moistened.
- If you are making blueberry muffins add the blueberries to the batter and stir. The batter should be lumpy.
- Fill muffin cups about ¾ full. Bake until golden brown, which is about 20 minutes. Immediately remove from the muffin pan.
1 cup of blueberries= 50 calories
Each muffin 160 calories WITHOUT the extra sugar and blueberries